La Verne is a lively community that can be found in Pomona, California, and the state of California is home to it. A land grant encompassing an area of approximately 15,000 acres (61 km2) was given to Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Véjar in the year 1837 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado. This event marked the beginning of European settlement in the region, which occurred in the 1830s. Pomona, Claremont, San Dimas, and Glendora in addition to La Verne were all cities that were included in the region.
Adobe building known as La Casa Primera de Rancho San Jose may be seen in Pomona. It was first built by Palomares in the year 1837. (The Original Residence) A short time after Ygnacio Palomares moved his family there, about a mile to the northeast, an adobe home named after him was constructed there. The ability of his nephew Jose Dolores Palomares to buy land approximately one mile to the west was made possible as a result of his influence in the matter.
At the turn of the century, industrialist Isaac W. Lord purchased a parcel of land from Jose Palomares and successfully pushed the Santa Fe Railroad to build a line through it to Los Angeles. Lord’s purchase of the land came after he had successfully lobbied the Santa Fe Railroad. In the year 1887, Lord had the region surveyed for construction lots and then proceeded to have a big sale of property. He christened the new town “Lordsburg” after himself.
At the same time as the real estate boom was in full swing, he also had a huge hotel constructed in Lordsburg. After sitting vacant for some time, it was finally purchased by four members of the German Baptist Brethren Church. These individuals then succeeded in convincing their fellow churchgoers that the land in question would be an excellent spot for the establishment of a brand-new educational establishment. The institution that would later become Lordsburg College first welcomed students and faculty in 1891.
In 1906, the name La Verne was chosen to become the official name of the municipality. Following the success that they had cultivating agricultural crops, the villagers planted citrus trees. As the Orange Empire grew, Lordsburg developed into the heart of its new territory. In the decades that followed World War II, La Verne regained its previous status as a hub for the citrus industry, but this popularity was followed by a slow decline. The La Verne Mansion and Heritage Park each have their own orange grove, and these are the only two that are still standing in the area.