The majority of Spadra’s history has been obliterated from memory. Even if all that is left to indicate of the historical significance of the location is the Phillips Mansion and the Spadra Cemetery, both locations are notable in their own right. Until its absorption by Pomona in the 1960s, Spadra was the dominant town in the Pomona Valley; nevertheless, in the 19th century, it contended with Pomona, which was a newer city. Spadra was eventually absorbed by Pomona, CA.
Spadra was established on property that had formerly belonged to Ricardo Vejar and was a part of Rancho San Jose de Abajo. This was the southernmost portion of the Mexican land grant that Vejar and Ygnacio Palomares had been given in the year 1837. In 1864, Vejar was had to sell the majority of his Valley properties due to the severe financial difficulties he was experiencing. One of these estates was Rancho San Jose de Abajo. Louis Phillips, a Jewish immigrant from Prussia, was a member of the management team at the ranch. In the end, he was successful in making the cash payment for the property. After he began to sell land to pioneers, there was soon enough of them to form a settlement. Because so many of the early settlers had come from a location in Arkansas known as Spadra Bluff, that is the name that was given to the new community. Spadra, a community in California, was one of the first to have a post office. At some point in time, Spadra became the last station on the Southern Pacific line and a stagecoach route that went through Butterfield.
In the year 1868, Melinda Arnett, who had been a resident of Spadra, passed away. Prior to the immigration of Americans in 1848, which led to an increase in the percentage of non-Catholic citizens, the nearby cemeteries were only used by Catholics. Today, however, they are used by a mixed population. Because Catholic cemeteries do not permit non-Catholics to be buried there, Melinda was laid to rest on Phillip’s property in a section of land that he had designated for use as a cemetery. Phillips and his wife Esther are two of the numerous noteworthy people that were interred there. Other notable locals include: 1897 was the year when he and Esther Phillips deeded the land that was to become the cemetery to the Spadra Cemetery Association for the low, low fee of one dollar.
Over the course of time, Spadra’s riches diminished. The Southern Pacific’s decision to carry on to Colton was the downfall of Spadra’s businesses. Despite the fact that the majority of the city’s population has relocated, the Spadra Cemetery is still home to the graves of a good number of the city’s first inhabitants.